Monday, March 29, 2010

Strawberries!

Today's gardening project took Jack and I to Glover Nursery in West Jordan where we picked out some lovely everbearing strawberries, some seeding russet potatoes and a great big bag of compost. The bag of compost is too heavy for me so I'm going to have to wait for Hardy to get home to help me drag it back to the garden, but I didn't want my strawberries to dry out so we got those nicely planted, fertilized and watered. I bought 20 plants so I should have lots to share this summer. I haven't decided where to put the potatoes yet so I guess I'll plant those tomorrow. I also got my drip system sort of configured, at least for the areas where I have things planted. I need to plug in a few holes and make a few new ones, but the water isn't even turned on yet so I'm not too worried about that yet.

After planting I decided I needed to give a little love to my flower beds so I did some weeding and turned the dirt over. (Jack is a very big help when it come to digging in the dirt.) Now I just have to figure out what to plant and where. I've been so focused on vegetables that I forget I also need to figure out my flowers. Oh well. One step at a time.

We're definitely making progress.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

I'm so jealous!

Erica Williams said...

Gald I'm your next door neighbor! I need to work on the compost thing soon. I may talk to you about the stuff that you bought. Happy gardening!

Erin said...

Wow, you're ambitious! We are just waiting for it to stop snowing so we can even beging to think about planting. We get an extra month to wait before planting here. Good luck with strawberries. They are our favorites!