I recently started a new job working for a local government. My husband likes to make fun of me for being a bureaucrat and teases how little government workers actually work. His brother and father both work in government and he always jokes that they spend most of their time on the golf course, so naturally he has plenty of proof to back up his argument.
In the 3 months I have worked here I have already racked up over 25 hours of overtime, so I kept wondering when this nice easy government job is going to kick in. And today it finally did.
Thus far, I do believe I have accomplished absolutely nothing today. I got into work this morning and completed a project I have been working on for several days, then discovered I had been given the wrong information to start with and my updates were essentially worthless. Then I rememeberd that it is my 1st wedding anniversary next Friday and I am supposed to be in charge of planning our evenings events, so I put together a whole wonderful plan involving a couples massage and dinner at the place where we had our wedding dinner. Then I found out the Spa is closed that night and other complications which thwarted my efforts. And ever since lunch I have been trying to prepare for an event I am running this evening at work, and while I did manage to quell a Senior Citizen hostile take over of my event, most of my time has been spent playing on the internet.
And the best part is, I got a nice little bonus check and thank you card yesterday to thank me for all my productivity. My husband is right - working for the government really is great.
No comments:
Post a Comment