Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Birthing Classes and Cribs

We went to the doctor for a routine visit yesterday afternoon. Things are still looking fine as far as the pregnancy goes. I’m healthy and little Jack is growing.

We got to see the room where we will most likely deliver. It looks like a typical delivery room, but has a special window that goes directly into the NICU. If that room is full when we go into labor then we will deliver in the operating room since there is a window to the NICU in there as well.

I think the reality that this is really going to happen in 6 or 7 weeks is setting in and that’s really strange. I feel like there is more I should do or know, but I’m not sure what. We haven’t taken any child birth classes like I had initially planned since I don’t feel like we are quite in the same situation as everyone else in the class would be. We don’t need to discuss pain medication options or take a tour of the nursery – those don’t apply to us. Instead we know that we’re being induced and will have an epidural, plus we’ve toured the PICU and have discussed what will happen after he’s born with the neo-natalogist. The delivery is really the last thing on my mind right now. It’s scary but seems like the easy part of what lies ahead.

We did finally get a crib and changing table yesterday. My mom came out and we went shopping, then Hardy joined us for dinner and helped us pick them up. We’re going to try to get them set up this evening. Next I need to find a recliner and get some bedding. Prior to last night’s shopping spree, I literally had absolutely nothing for the baby other than a few outfits my sister gave me that no longer fit her little boy and 2 shelves I bought. We’re making progress.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aimee,

I can't believe it's that soon that he will be here. I was scheduled for an induction tomorrow but I told my dr. today that I didn't want to do it. I don't think she's ready. It looks like we'll wait it out a week and if she doesn't come we will induce for sure on the 27th. I'm feeling really good and just didn't want to rush anything. I'll keep you posted!

Jill

Daisie said...

I am excited your getting the crib up! That definetly made it seem more real to us! Glad your visit went well!!

Gwen said...

Yay! I can go shopping! Another excuse to buy baby stuff. Still can't wait to see you guys!

Mama Mimi said...

So good to get the update. Glad that things are moving along as expected. Hope the heat is not getting to you!!! I thought summer was a hard time to be pregnant!!!

Megan said...

I found your blog through a friend of a friend!! :) Just wanted to say that you will be in our prayers as the birth of your little boy draws near.
From one heart mom to another
Megan