Monday, February 14, 2011

The Cunning 2.5

Some days I can't decide if it's just my raging pregnancy hormones or if 2.5 is turning out to be a more difficult stage for Jack.  He is so darling, but he drives me insane. He is such a big helper these days and anytime I try to get anything done around the house that doesn't include him (vacuum, dishes, laundry) he throws a fit.  Once he has calmed down he gives me this look and says in the most sincere voice with the cutest face, "I have a good idea Mommy! How 'bout we do it togeder?"  I mean seriously, how am I supposed to say no to that? So then we do it "togeder" and it takes me 5 times as long, and I'm too pregnant to want to do anything 5 times over, but can I really curb enthusiasm like that? Eventually I'm going to want him to want to do those things.

He also has this amazing ability to turn his naughtiness into a game. For example, when I tell him "no" repeatedly and he continues to do whatever I told him not to, if I say "How many times do I have to say no?" he starts counting as high as he can go with a sly grin. Or try giving him a warning. I dare you. As soon as you start to count, he joins in too and thinks it's great fun.  It totally defeats the purpose.

Or take this very moment for example.  He has been getting into trouble all over the office 'til I'm about to lose my mind (emptying drawers, opening Hardy's valentine's gift, pushing buttons), and then he sits under the computer desk and is now singing the primary song "Mother, I love you."  How can I get mad during that?

Ughh...the cunning of a 2.5 year old.

5 comments:

christi said...

You have a very cleaver little boy, and his responses are so cute!!

Gwen said...

I think he is way!! too smart :)

Becky said...

My kids were always the hardest at 3. It was the best and also the worst age. They are so dang cute but man they can really try your patience. I even got to the point where I had to do housework in the early morning hours before they got up. Which stinks, by the way. He sure is so cute. I'd have a hard time telling him no too.:)

M said...

He totally has you figured out! Hee hee.

The Petersen Family said...

Lol. I hate to tell you but it only gets worse from here on out!